As Christians, we understand the power of our thoughts and the impact they have on our lives. Negative thoughts can easily spiral out of control, leading to anxiety, depression, and stress. But what if there was a simple practice that could help you change your thoughts and bring more peace and joy into your life? That’s where D.W.E.L.L. comes in.
What is D.W.E.L.L.?
D.W.E.L.L. is a mindfulness practice that can help you change your thoughts and bring more peace and joy into your life. I came up with this acronym during my own difficult season when I needed a simple yet effective way to connect with God, and as I studied God’s word, I kept coming back to the phrase “dwell secure”.
“The children of your servants shall dwell secure; their offspring shall be established before you.” (Psalm 102:28, ESV)
“But whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.” (Proverbs 1:33, ESV)
“My people will abide in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places.” (Isaiah 32:18, ESV)
“Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.” (Psalm 16:9, ESV)
Let’s break down each component of D.W.E.L.L.:
- Disconnect and connect: In our digital age, we are constantly connected to our devices, social media, and the internet. But taking time to disconnect from technology and connect with God can be incredibly powerful. Spend time in nature, go for a walk, or simply sit quietly and reflect on God’s presence in your life.
- Water with the word: Just as our bodies need water to survive, our spirits need the Word of God to thrive. Spend time each day reading and studying the Bible, meditating on its words, and allowing God to speak to you through it.
- Exalt God for who He is: When we focus on God’s goodness and greatness, our problems and worries seem to fade away. Take time to praise God for His love, His mercy, His grace, and His power. Make a list of all the things you are grateful for and thank God for them.
- Lists requests to God with thanksgiving: It’s easy to focus on our needs and wants, but when we come to God with a heart of thanksgiving, it changes our perspective. Make a list of your prayer requests and ask God to meet your needs, but also take time to thank Him for all the ways He has already blessed you.
- Linger in His presence: Finally, take time to simply be in God’s presence. Sit quietly and listen for His voice. Bask in His love and allow Him to fill you with His peace and joy.
How D.W.E.L.L. Can Benefit You
Incorporating D.W.E.L.L. into your daily routine can be a powerful way to change your thoughts and draw closer to God. Whether you use it as a daily practice or as a tool to help you during difficult times, the principles of D.W.E.L.L. can help you focus on what truly matters and find peace and joy in the midst of life’s challenges.
Additional Resources for Practicing D.W.E.L.L.
You can also download a free copy of D.W.E.L.L. below. There are additional examples throughout Thought Garden (Women’s Book and the Teen Edition). I pray these resources are helpful as you incorporate D.W.E.L.L. into your life.